High impact, high involvement, low hassle.
A Supporting Organization is an excellent alternative to a private foundation. You select a minority of the board members and support the causes you care about most while enjoying the favorable tax treatment, immediate startup and ease of administration associated with working through The Community Foundation.
How it works:
- You make a gift to the community foundation — you can give cash, appreciated stocks, real estate, or other assets. We establish a Supporting Organization — a separate charitable entity — in your name, in the name of your family or business, or in honor of any person or organization you choose.
- You select up to 49 percent of your board of directors; the community foundation assigns the rest (so that you benefit from affiliation with a public charity).
- You receive tax benefits in the year your gift is made.
- Your board of directors recommends grants — working with our professional program staff — to support the causes and agencies you care about most. We issue grants to charities in the name of the Supporting Organization you establish (if you prefer, grants can be made anonymously).
- We handle all the administrative details.