Completing the FAFSA

The Community Foundation administers scholarship opportunities that consider the financial need of the student during the evaluation process. To apply for these scholarships, the student will need to provide their Student Aid Report (SAR) that includes their Estimated Family Contribution (EFC) number.

The first step to obtaining the Student Aid Report (SAR) is to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Please visit to complete the application. The application opens on October 1 each year. NOTE: File your FAFSA as early as possible and keep copies of all forms submitted. Also, make sure you follow the instructions regarding obtaining your parents' signature as instructed on the website.

This video provides a short overview of the FAFSA:

The Student Aid Report

The Student Aid Report (SAR) is a paper or electronic document that gives you some basic information about your eligibility for federal student aid and lists your answers to the questions on your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

If you provided a valid e-mail address on your FAFSA, you will receive an e-mail approximately one week after your FAFSA has been processed with instructions on how to access an online copy of your SAR. The FAFSA Summary Report you receive immediately upon submitting your FAFSA is NOT your SAR.

Note: Read the SAR upon receipt – it will tell you if the government has additional questions. Do not assume it’s okay without reading through it.

  • Example of the SAR (2.417 MB)
    Please note that you must upload ALL the pages of your current SAR.

How do I obtain my Student Aid Report (SAR)?

  • Go to .
  • Use your credentials to log in.
  • Make sure the correct school year is selected at the top of the page.
  • Click on View or Print your Student Aid Report (SAR).
  • On the Processed Information page, select View Student Aid Report (PDF) at the top of the page.
  • Next, download a copy of your SAR and save it. Choose a document name and location you will remember so that you may upload it within your Community Foundation application. Click Save.
  • If you have trouble obtaining an SAR, contact your college financial aid office or call the Federal Department of Education at 1.800.433.3243 for assistance.