Type: Common Good
As lifelong residents of Findlay, Jim and Mary Alys Brucklacher left a legacy of community involvement behind them. The Brucklachers were Findlay High School graduates and were married for 72 years.
Jim was a Marine who served in the Pacific, China and Japan. Following his discharge, he graduated from Western Reserve University School of Law. He worked for Marathon Oil Company from 1949 until his retirement in 1985. Jim was very involved at St. Andrew’s United Methodist Church where he was a member for more than 50 years. He was a Founding Father of the Hancock Historical Museum, past president of the Findlay Kiwanis Club, and more. Jim enjoyed golfing, hunting and fishing as well as spending winters in Arizona and summers at Lake Erie with family and friends.
Mary was a lifelong member of St. Andrew’s Church, where she was active in the Meth-O-Mates class, the Women’s Society and the church board. Her love of reading led her to serve as a trustee of the Findlay-Hancock County Public Library. She was also a long-time Blanchard Valley Hospital volunteer and founding member of Twig #1. Mary attended Miami University for two years before marrying Jim in 1945. She returned to the University of Findlay more than 30 years later to finish her degree, graduating with honors in 1982.
Through their estate, Jim and Mary established two funds to benefit the community as part of our Community’s Endowment. First, they created the James & Mary Alys Brucklacher Unrestricted Fund. This fund will support responsive grantmaking by the Foundation board.
The second fund is the Jim and Mary Brucklacher Field of Interest Fund, which is also part of our Community’s Endowment. This fund will support programs and make resources available to individuals or families in Hancock County experiencing homelessness or food insecurity.